A few weeks ago one of our readers referred to this as a "blog about facts," which I have adopted as an unofficial motto. Nonetheless, it's Friday, so let us get all wacky and fictional for a sec: If you want to spend your entire workday procrastinating, check out Wikipedia's list of fictional things (insert joke about fiction and Wikipedian accuracy here). My favorite excerpt so far:
Fictional people known as "The Great" (not to be confused with real people known as "The Great"):
- Sheila the Great from Judy Blume's Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great
- Edward the Great - title of an Iron Maiden 'greatest hits' album, named after the band's mascot Eddie.
- Gonzo the Great character from The Muppet Show.
- The Great Brain.
- The Great Gatsby in F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel.
- The Great Gazoo from the cartoon series The Flintstones.
- The Great Merlini.
- The Great Pumpkin from Peanuts comic strip.
- The Great Rupert from the 1950 film of the same name.
- The Great Skeeve from the novels of Robert Asprin
- The Great Santini.
- The Great Suprendo from Sesame Street
And for those of you who think that jab at Wikipedia wasn't so great: Wikimania starts today.
link via Cynical-C