Today's Turnip is a bit different than normal. Instead of typing a phrase into the search engine, I'm reporting on the most popular words/phrases searched by country - a META turn-up, if you will. The following was unearthed in this Reuters piece:
Internet users in Egypt, India and Turkey are the world's most frequent searchers for Web sites using the keyword "sex" on Google search engines, according to statistics provided by Google Inc.
Germany, Mexico and Austria were world's top three searchers of the word "Hitler" while "Nazi" scored the most hits in Chile, Australia and the United Kingdom , data from 2004 to the present retrievable on the "Google Trends" Web site showed.
Chile also came in first place searching for the word "gay", followed by Mexico and Colombia.
The top searchers for other keywords were as follows (in order from first to third place):
- "Jihad" - Morocco , Indonesia , Pakistan
- "Terrorism" - Pakistan , Philippines , Australia
- "Hangover" - Ireland , United Kingdom , United States
- "Burrito" - United States , Argentina , Canada
- " Iraq " - United States , Australia , Canada
- "Taliban" - Pakistan , Australia , Canada
- "Tom Cruise" - Canada , United States , Australia
- "Britney Spears" - Mexico , Venezuela , Canada
- "Homosexual" - Philippines , Chile , Venezuela
- "Love" - Philippines , Australia , United States
- "Botox" - Australia , United States , United Kingdom
- "Viagra" - Italy , United Kingdom , Germany
- "David Beckham" - Venezuela , United Kingdom , Mexico
- "Kate Moss" - Ireland , United Kingdom , Sweden
- "Dolly Buster" - Czech Republic , Austria , Slovakia
- "Car bomb" - Australia , United States , Canada
- "Marijuana" - Canada , United States , Australia
- "IAEA" - Austria , Pakistan , Iran