The Weird Week in Review
Mountain Lion Attacks Dog, Man Responds with Frying Pan
Brandon Arnold of Chino Valley, Arizona, was camping with a group of friends in Tonto National Forest when a mountain lion attacked his dog. Arnold tried to pull the animals apart before he realized the attacker wasn't another dog. The campers grabbed whatever was nearby, which for Arnold was a hot cast-iron skillet. He bopped the cat in the head twice, killing it. Another camper shot the mountain lion, just to make sure. Officials from the Arizona Game and Fish Department took the big cat for testing and found it had rabies. None of the campers were scratched or bitten except for the dog, Apollo, and he'd been vaccinated for rabies already.
Kentucky Man Arrested for Leaving Son in Car
A man was arrested in Shepherdsville, Kentucky, on misdemeanor charges of endangering the welfare of a minor. He had gone into a bar to drink and left his son behind in the car.
According to an arrest report, 59-year-old James L. Osborne was seen walking into The Electric Cowboy, a bar on Dixie Highway, near Oak Park Drive, early Saturday morning, shortly before 2:30 a.m.
Witnesses say he left a young boy inside his vehicle.
When police arrived, they approached the boy and asked him his age. It was determined that the boy was 17.
It's likely that the son was his designated driver.
Internet Cafe Robbers Caught via Facebook
In this particular case, the criminals weren't caught by bragging about their exploits on Facebook, but one of them logged onto the social network at the shop they then robbed! The two initially unidentified thieves went to an internet cafe in Calima, Colombia, and took an undisclosed amount of money at gunpoint. They fled on a motorcycle, but it became clear that one of them had logged onto his Facebook page before the robbery -and did not log out. The police took information off his profile and drove to his home address, where he was arrested.
Rushin' Russian Rescued from Trash Chute
An unnamed man desperate to get away from his girlfriend squeezed himself into a garbage chute on the eighth floor of an apartment building in Tyumen, Siberia. He slid down three floors and then became firmly wedged in the chute. Emergency services found him stuck on the fifth floor and extracted him. There are no details on why he was fleeing from his girlfriend.
Rocks in Pocket Set Woman on Fire
An unidentified woman in San Clemente, California, collected rocks from a beach last Saturday. The rocks in her pocket spontaneously ignited, which burned her thigh and knee. Her husband also suffered burns on his hand from trying to extinguish the flame. Authorities don't yet know why the rocks ignited, but think phosphorus may be involved. The rocks were sent off for testing.
Zookeepers Drank Elephants' Alcohol
The elephant keepers at the Marghazar Zoo in Islamabad, Pakistan, ordered a supply of alcohol each of the past twenty years -for the elephants. They said the alcohol was necessary to calm the elephants down during mating season. The orders were filled each year, and listed under the elephants' food expense budget. But the elephants never drank the liquor.
The bills amounted Rs80,000 at maximum and minimum at Rs40,000.
Locally manufactured liquor would be supplied to the zoo and the cost would be added to the food expense.
Veterinary doctors while speaking to Express News said that alcohol cannot be consumed by elephants.
Once that fact came to light, an investigation was opened. Two of the zookeepers have been suspended.
Horse Rescued a Mile from Shore
A valuable show horse named "Air of Temptation" found the lure of the ocean too tempting. The horse, called William, was at Summerland Beach in California for a photo shoot when he suddenly galloped into the water. As those at the scene tried to lure him back, the horse wandered out as far as a mile into the sea. Mindy Peters, William's owner, was called to the scene and told that the horse was out of sight from land. The horse was finally spotted by oil rig workers, who alerted rescue crews. By the time two paddle boarders and a harbor patrol boat saved William, he had been treading water for three hours.