I woke up with the Pee-Wee's Playhouse theme stuck in my head. On repeat. This seems crazy to me, since I haven't watched an episode of Pee-Wee's Playhouse in over a decade. And I still don't know the words.
They say the only way to successfully extricate a catchy tune from your head is to listen to the song in its entirety. Let me give that a try.
That didn't do the trick. While Pee-Wee is on the brain, here's some Playhouse trivia:
- The theme song was performed by Cyndi Lauper (lyrics here).
- Pee-Wee's co-stars included Phil Hartman (Captain Carl), Laurence Fishburne (Cowboy Curtis), Sandra Bernhard (Rhonda the picturephone operator), Jimmy Smits (pictured to the right; repairman Johnny Wilson fixed the Secret Word-dispensing Conky 2000) and Natasha Lyonne (Opal; Natasha played Jessica in American Pie).
- Rob Zombie was a production assistant.
- Magic Johnson (below) appeared on the 1988 Christmas special.
- The show won 22 Emmy Awards, and had an extravagant budget of $325,000 per episode.
- Last month at Spike TV's Guys Choice Awards, for the first time in fifteen years, Paul Reubens broke out the gray suit (see a clip here).
- A film adaptation is in the works: Pee-Wee's Playhouse: The Movie.
- Read The 25 Best Playhouse Moments from ProgressiveBoink.com.