If you live in California, Nevada, Arizona or Texas, you probably know all about the 99¢ Only Stores, where nothing is over 99¢, ever! It's a great place to pick up light bulbs, cleaning supplies, crackers, greeting cards, and office supplies, all for under a buck. But man-o-man are there some random, hilarious finds if you've got some extra time to kill.
Here are a bunch I spotted today:
1. Fear Factor Test Tube Acid Bath From the package: Slimy gummy sharks and worms in sour ooze Noteworthy: Never mind that Fear Factor has been off the air for a couple seasons now. An acid bath candy? Also on the shelf, I spotted Fear Factor Gummy Frog's Legs with crunchy candy bones.
2. Mag Sheath Magnetic Knife Holder From the package: Frees your hands to reposition animal - No more stabbing knife in the dirt - It's like having a third hand! Noteworthy: Hey, who could argue with a third hand for 99¢. But watch out! On the back the packaging warns: DO NOT WALK while using Mag Sheath and there's a man walking in the international circle for Do Not. Yikes!
3. Not-So-Sloppy JoeFrom the package: Naturally Fat Free Sloppy Joe Sauce Noteworthy: Also printed on the jar: When you hold up a sloppy joe made with Not-So-Sloppy-Joe sloppy joe sauce, there are no drips. It's that rich and thick. Er, yum?
4. 'N Sync Magnets From the package: Official Tour Merchandise Noteworthy: I bought two 12-packs of these babies for under a buck. Foolish? Just wait until the reunion tour. I'll sell each individual magnet for the 99¢! Booyakasha!
5. Professional Bull Riding Micro-Icons From the package: Also comes with a PBR trading card Noteworthy: This is one in a series. I had no idea PBR existed, or who J.W. Hart was until I saw this toy. I looked J.W. up online and discovered he's made $1,354,462.18 to date riding bulls. I guess when I make that much as a writer, I'll get my own Micro-Icon?
6. Du-Rag Tiger Visor RagFrom the package: Distributed by J-Land "100% Polyester" Noteworthy: I see it says Item No. 2020 on the upper right hand corner of the package. You suppose that's why the model is bespectacled?
7. Warning Sign Okay, so this wasn't for sale (I asked), but you have to wonder if the 99¢ Only Store actually thinks the legal drinking age is 30 in California. I mean, clearly they don't know the difference between your and you're when they say "your buying alcohol," so...?
Have the equivalent of a 99¢ Only Store in your neck of the woods? What's it called? And what's the craziest thing you ever spotted there?