How Did You Know Katie Wnuk?
First, a hearty congrats to the several dozen of you who got all the answers correct this month. As always, thanks for all the little notes of encouragement in your emails... I'm glad you enjoyed the latest trivia hunt. Also as always, a couple of you really impressed us with your answer gathering strategies and information recording techniques. We'll be in touch about some consolation prizes shortly.
Now on with the big news: We have a new champion and a new record! Katie Wnuk from Plover, Wisconsin, took this week's How Did You Know? in just under 2 minutes, shattering the previous record of 9 minutes and securing the gold crown (if only...).
Congrats and best of luck defending your title next month during the next How Did You Know? Remember: if you can hold onto it for two more months, you'll win our grand prize!
I'll post Katie's answers and logic after the jump, but first a little about our winner:
Growing up in Wisconsin, in the city which holds the record for the world's largest annual trivia contest, I've always had a fondness of random facts and trivia games. I'm a Junior at the University of Wisconsin, trying to earn a potentially useless liberal arts degree in French. In my free time I love reading, playing video games with friends, and spending time with my cat and pet mice. I also have a wonderful boyfriend Aaron whose immense knowledge contributed greatly to my answers to this month's contest.
Thank you so much!
3. control (CL is chlorine, knew)
The only major American sport where the defense controls the ball is BASEBALL.
1. Geriatric (all discovered with sheer brain power)
[ed note: we also would have accepted popgun or toy gun for #5]
1. A Cinderella Story, knew
2. Cinderella Man, googled "cinderella+fight+movie" "“ first hit "“ matched movie posters
3. Cinderfella, wikipedia "Cinderella" - Adaptations "“ films "“ matched movie posters
4. Ever After, knew
5. The Glass Slipper, wikipedia "Cinderella" "“ Adaptations "“ films "“ matched movie posters
1. Monty Python's Flying Circus, Defense Against Fruits, knew
2. 5 min Life Videopedia, Fire Without Matches or Lighter, title given
3. 5 min Life Videopedia, 5 min Chess Tips with Igor & Gleb, title given
4. The Autumn Defense, "Winterlight," title given
5. The Fountainhead, searched for "the confession of Peter Keating" which led to the Fountainhead, IMDB confirmed
Video 2 is not like the others which all deal with "defense"
1. "defense" against fruits
3. chess "defense" moves, specifically the Sicilian Defense
4. song by the Autumn "Defense"
5. Peter Keating's "defense" at his trial
1. Coach Carter, googled first line of the quote, found author was Marianne Williamson, wiki-ed her which linked to Coach Carter
2. Heaven Can Wait, searched "Joseph Pendleton" in characters on IMDB which linked to Heaven Can Wait
3. Bad News Bears, knew
4. The Big Lebowski, knew
5. Wimbledon, knew, IMDB confirmed