Eric Yount, whose e-mail arrived at 2:17 p.m., just 1 hour and 42 minutes after the challenge was posted. Congratulations! (We'll be in touch via e-mail about your prize money.)
Check out the winning answers, and some inventive guesses, after the jump.
1. Whose eyes were used as inspiration for E.T.?
A. Albert Einstein, Ernest Hemingway, and Carl Sandburg (page 70)
Creative guesses: a pug dog; Bette Davis
Popular guess: Carlo Rambaldi's Himalayan cat
2. Marlene Dietrich used to eat sardine-and-onion sandwiches on rye as an unconventional cure to treat what ailment?
A. Insomnia (page 17)
3. "Wink at your grocer, and see what you get!" was used in the ad campaign for what product?
A. Kellogg's Corn Flakes (page 55)
Creative guesses: Piggly Wiggly; Wink Soda
4. Were they women or were they men? This question surrounded the careers of what incredibly impressive track-and-field sisters?
A. Irina and Tamara Press (page 45)
Creative guesses: Jackie Joyner-Kersee and Florence Griffith-Joyner; Patrick and Pascal BarrÃ©; Mo'Nique and Jazmin
5. Leonard Bernstein once told his orchestra, ""Don't you get it? This piece is about sex!" To what piece was he referring?
A. Igor Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring" (page 27)
Creative guess: "On the Town"
6. MacPhisto was the 1992 devilish alter ego of what celeb?
A. Bono (page 16)
Creative guess: the devil
7. Previously known as the Tortugas and the Lagartos, what is the current name of these islands?
A. Cayman Islands (page 70)
Popular guess: Florida Keys
8. What American strong-armed himself into the Nicaraguan presidency in 1856?
A. William Walker (page 68)
9. Making death masks from guillotined prisoners launched the career of what political prisoner?
A. Madame Tussaud (page 72)
Creative guess: Napoleon
10. Prison pals: What was the percentage increase in prison mail since our last issue?
A. 100% (page 9)
Creative guesses: 0.5 percent; "3/10 of one percent - a guess based on about 2% increase in prison population per year, over a 2-month period."
And if you STILL don't have a copy of that issue, you can go ahead and purchase it here.
* * * * *