The Quick 10: 10 Things You Didn't Know the Names Of
You can thank us after you clean up on Jeopardy!
1. Tittle - the dot over a lowercase "i".
2. Botts' Dots - the dots that divide lanes on the highway. They're named after their creator, Dr. Elbert Botts. Photo by Wikipedia user Coolcaesar.
3. Bib nozzle, sill cock (AKA bibcock) - any outdoor faucet on a house.
4. Escape words - the words you use in place of swear words, such as "Gosh" and "Darn." My mom's favorite - "God..." [pause] "...Bless America."
5. Crown cap - a metal bottle cap with crimped edges. Bust this one out when you're out with friends this weekend.
6. Toque blanche - a chef's hat.
7. Twilight zone - not the show, either. It's the space just inside of a cave where the cave is still lit by the daylight from outside.
8. Mandarin crease - the lines on either side of your mouth.
9. Preprandial libation - a drink before dinner.
10. Punch holes - the holes in the toe of a sneaker.