The Weird Week in Review
Exploding Refrigerator Wrecks Home
Kathy Cullingworth of Normanton, England was awakened by an early morning explosion downstairs in her home. She and her husband found their refrigerator had exploded, leaving appliances wrecked, the kitchen walls cracked, and windows broken. Firefighters came to the home to turn off the electricity and inspect the damage. Cullingworth said there was no carbonated drinks or alcohol in the refrigerator that could have caused the blast. Investigators don't know what sparked the explosion. The eight-year-old refrigerator is still under warranty and will be examined by the manufacturer.
8-year-old Wing Walker
Tiger Brewer of London, England has become the world's youngest person to walk on the wing of an airborne plane at the age of eight. Brewer's grandfather Vic Norman operates a formation wing walking team and offered the boy a chance to try the stunt this week on a flight over Gloucestershire. Tiger stood on the wing of the biplane as it cruised at 100 miles per hour. The previous youngest wing walker was 11-year-old Guy Mason, son of Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason, who performed the stunt in 2001.
Catfish Clean Foreclosed Pools
Nine percent of the homes in Wellington, Florida are under or in danger of foreclosure, and many of them have pools that are no longer maintained, which leads to a problem with mosquitoes. City authorities are trying an alternative method for controlling the insects. They are stocking the pools with catfish from the Amazon in hopes they will clean the pools and consume mosquito larvae.
"Everybody is looking to see how they work out, but starting the program this time of year is like us mowing grass with a push mower when it's already knee-high," said Dave Hoy, a fish farm owner who has used plecos for years to clean fish tanks.
3,000-year-old Butter Found
An oak barrel of butter has been found in a bog near Gilltown, Ireland. Two workers, John Fitzharris and Martin Lane, noticed a white streak in the peat and uncovered the barrel, later estimated to be 3,000 years old. The butter is now white adipocere, resembling animal fat, that is the final product of many organic substances preserved in bogs. Curators at the National Museum of Ireland consider the barrel to be from the Iron Age.
"Putpockets" Give Out Money
A broadband provider in London, England is giving away money with the help of twenty reformed pickpockets. The participants are putting five to twenty pound notes in unguarded pockets and purses in public squares around London. At the end of this month, the company plans to take the program to other towns. A total of 100,000 pounds will be given away.
"It feels good to give something back for a change -- and Britons certainly need it in the current economic climate," said Chris Fitch, a former pickpocket who now heads TalkTalk's putpocketing initiative.
"Every time I put money back in someone's pocket, I feel less guilty about the fact I spent many years taking it out."
Watch Returned 128 Years Later
In 2000, Rich Hughes was diving near a shipwreck off the coast of Pembrokeshire, Wales when he spotted a shiny object under the sea. He retrieved a pocket watch with "Richard Prichard 1866 Abersoch North Wales" engraved on the casing. After nearly ten years of detective work, Hughes reconstructed the story of the pocket watch and its owner. Ship captain Richard Prichard died during a voyage of the Barbara and was buried at sea. A man named Jones took over both the ship and the captain's effects, but did not have the necessary navigational skills. The ship sailed into the wrong channel and sank during a storm in 1881. The crewmen were rescued, but captain Jones went down with the ship, and presumably had the watch on his person. Hughes enlisted the help of an amateur historian to track down Prichard's family. He finally found a grandson of Prichard's cousin, and will present the watch to the delighted descendent next month.
Cow-damaged Breast Saved by Pink
Kimberley Koy works at a cattle station in Australia and was slightly gored in the chest by a cow's horn in the line of duty. The horn didn't break the skin, so she thought there was no damage done. A week later she boarded a flight to Sydney to see a Pink concert, and her left breast swelled to twice its size! Her implant had been damaged by the cattle incident, and the air pressure caused silicone to leak out. Koy said,
"When I woke up the day after the plane trip it was double the size of my right one "¦ I thought I had breast cancer.
"If I hadn't have gone to the Pink concert I wouldn't have known my breast was leaking."
The implant was replaced yesterday.