The Late Movies: The Top 11 AFI Movie Quotes
In 2005, The American Film Institute put out a list of the top 100 movie quotes of all time. This list includes some of the most influential and memorable quotes in cinematic history.Â Tonight for the Late Movies, here are clips of top 11 most famous quote in movie history.
1. Gone With The Wind - "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Coincidentally, this is listed as the most misquoted line of all time. Many think the line reads "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn."
2. The Godfather - "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."
3. On The Waterfront - "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." Marlon Brando at his best, underscored by a haunting soundtrack.
4. The Wizard Of Oz - "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." On AFIs original list, they accidentally listed the quote wrong, adding the word "got" in place of "have."
5. Casablanca - "Here's looking at you kid." This is also memorable because it was completely ad-libbed. Bogart often said this to Ingrid Bergman as he taught her poker during the filming.
6. Sudden Impact - "Go ahead, make my day." There is actually something called the Make My Day Law (also called the Castle Doctrine) that protects people from unlawful trespassing on their own property. Basically, if someone breaks into your house, it protects you from criminal charges if you shoot them.
7. Sunset Boulevard - "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."
8. Star Wars - "May the Force be with you." Although various characters say the line, this quote is directly from Han Solo as he flees before the battle to destroy the Death Star.
9. All About Eve - "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
10. Taxi Driver - "You talkin' to me?" Early Robert De Niro in one of the most intense and memorable scenes of his career. Careful, there's a little swearing in this one.
11. Cool Hand Luke - "What we have here is failure to communicate." This line is additionally memorable because Paul Newman turns it around on the Captain during the film's climax. Enjoy!