Brain Game: B-sides
This isn't a full-fledged logic puzzle, as you need only place five items in their correct order; but it should provide a nice challenge for a Monday. Good luck!
A local "classic pop & rock" radio stationÂ offers listenersÂ five songs in a row by five different artists whose namesÂ start with the same letter of the alphabet. (This is unfair to Queen and ZZ Top, mind you, but we won't go there.) One of these five-song sets was comprised ofÂ songs by Blondie, the Beatles, the Bee Gees, the Beach Boys, and the Bangles. Based on the two clues that follow, can you determine which artist was played in which order during the set?
1. The Blondie song was played just before the Beach Boys track, and sometime after the Beatles hit.
2. The Bee Gees single was the second song to be played after the BanglesÂ tune.
The first song was by Bangles, vote followed by the Beatles, the Bee Gees, Blondie, and the Beach Boys.
Here's a sample solving sequence for this puzzle. (Your manner of solving may have been different):
Clue #1 reveals that:
- The Beach boys weren't first or second.
- Blondie wasn't first or last.
- The Beatles weren't fourth or fifth.
Clue #2 reveals that:
- The Bangles weren't fourth or fifth.
- The Bee Gees weren't first or second.
- The Bangles could not have been second without contradicting Rule #1, so the Bee Gees could not have been fourth.
- The Bangles could not have been third without contradicting Rule #1, so (by elimination) the Bangles were first and the Bee Gees third.
- Then, going back toÂ Clue #1, Blondie has to be fourth and the Beach Boys fifth,
leaving the Beatles as second.