What Is the Difference Between Generic and Name Brand Ibuprofen?
What is the difference between generic ibuprofen vs. name brands?Yali Friedman:
I just published a paper that answers this question:
Here’s the tl;dr version:
Generic drugs are versions of drugs made by companies other than the company which originally developed the drug.
To gain FDA approval, a generic drug must:
- Contain the same active ingredients as the innovator drug (inactive ingredients may vary)
- Be identical in strength, dosage form, and route of administration
- Have the same use indications
- Be bioequivalent
- Meet the same batch requirements for identity, strength, purity, and quality
- Be manufactured under the same strict standards of FDA's good manufacturing practice regulations required for innovator products
I hope you found this answer useful. Feel free to reach out at. For more on generic drugs, you can see our resources and whitepapers at
This post originally appeared on Quora. Click here to view.