The Weird Week in Review
Dog Abandoned at Train Station with His Suitcase
Tuesday, a picture of dog in Scotland went viral. He had been tied to a railing at Ayr station, and was found with a small suitcase containing his belongings: a food dish, a pillow, a dog toy, and some dog food. The dog, a mixed breed resembling a shar-pei, was taken to the SSPCA. Officials there found a microchip, but the last record said the dog named Kai had been sold on the internet site Gumtree in 2013, but not to whom.
Today, the Daily Record identified the woman who left the dog at the station as Fin Rayner. Rayner said she met a man to buy a dog through Gumtree, but the dog was not as advertised and the man fled with a £150 deposit, leaving her with Kai. Rayner does not believe she did anything wrong by leaving the dog at the station. Meanwhile, the SSPCA has received many calls from people who want Kai.
Turn Signal Removed from Arm 51 Years After Wreck
Arthur Lampitt of Granite City, Illinois, wrecked his new Thunderbird. He suffered multiple injuries, the worst of which was a shattered hip. That was in 1963. A few years ago, Lampitt set off a metal detector that indicated there was metal embedded in his arm, although it didn’t bother him. Recently, the arm began to bulge and hurt, so he decided to have the metal removed. He thought that it might have been a surgical instrument left from 1963. When the operation was done, doctors removed a 7-inch piece of metal that was identified as a Thunderbird turn signal handle! Doctors were surprised that the arm never became infected. They say Lampitt’s body grew a protective pouch around the metal all those years ago.
Surgery for Constipated Goldfish
A devoted pet owner in North Walsham, Norfolk, UK, took his goldfish to Toll Barn Veterinary Centre because the fish was constipated. The only way to save the fish was with surgery, which cost £300 ($454). After a few minutes consideration, the owner opted for the surgery. Veterinarian Faye Bethell performed the procedure, which involved removing lumps from two places in the fish. Each cut was covered with three stitches and sealed with waterproof glue. Bethell said,
"The actual surgery is quite straightforward but administering the anesthetic is quite complicated.
"The issue was the fish couldn't poo and it would have eventually become toxic and it would have died.
"There was nothing special about the fish. He just liked it a lot. People love their pets - but that was an expensive little goldfish."
Mrs. Doubtfire House a Victim of Arson
The house in San Francisco where the film Mrs. Doubtfire was filmed was converted into a makeshift shrine when star Robin Williams died in August. Then on Monday evening, two fires were set on the porch. The current homeowner, Dr. Douglas K. Ousterhout, is a renowned craniofacial surgeon. Ousterhout put out the fires himself and called police. On Wednesday, police arrested one of Ousterhout’s former patients, 25-year-old Tyqwon Eugenen Welch. The arrest should extinguish rumors of a large elderly woman starting a fire while trying to cook.
Boa Constrictor Emerges From Toilet
Stephanie Lacsa runs a business in downtown San Diego. When a toilet appeared to be stopped up, she took a plunger to it. She was astonished to find that the stoppage was caused by a 5-foot boa constrictor. When she removed the plunger, the snake came slithering out, flicking its tongue at her! Lacsa and her business partner climbed atop their desks to avoid the snake. Animal control responded and identified the snake as a Colombian rainbow boa constrictor. According to the news video, the building’s landlord found out that the snake belonged to another tenant.
Minivan Dragged 16 Miles by Truck
Matt and Pamela Menz were traveling in their minivan with their two children during the snowstorm Wednesday morning on I-75 in Michigan when they slid into a tractor-trailer. The minivan became wedged under the back end of the truck, which the truck driver did not notice. The minivan lost power, so Menz could not blow the horn, flash the lights, or even see where they were going. Pamela Menz called 911 and told the Roscommon County dispatcher what had happened, but they could not see the mile markers to give a location. The truck driver eventually left the interstate, and Matt Menz was able to identify the exit. Police pulled the truck driver over, still unaware that he’d been towing the minivan. They had covered 16 miles over the 25-minute ride. The Menz family was uninjured, but were taken to a local hospital to be checked out. You can hear portions of the 911 call in a video at WOOD.