You've likely spent more time inside your house or apartment this year than ever before—and after enduring 2020, you'll probably want to switch up your home decor style in the new year. So whether you know how you want your home to look or need some inspiration, here are five home decor styles you can adopt in 2021.
Since many of us haven't been able to travel for quite some time, bringing a global atmosphere into the home can help give your living space a much-needed change of scenery. Global decor is exactly that—it's furniture and decorations inspired by cultures from all over the world. You can start with some of these basic pieces below, many of which are inspired by a Moroccan aesthetic.
- Amsha Small African Woven Bowl; $28
- Safavieh Light Oak and Leather Weave Accent Chair; $348
- Well Woven Cenar Grey Flat-Weave Area Rug; $88
- Marrakesh Gallery Moroccan Unstuffed Pouf; $52
- Mini Assorted Artificial Cactus Plants (Set of Four); $18
Much like the global style, coastal is grounded in the idea that we might be missing our favorite beaches or feelings of summer. Even if you don’t live in Malibu with a view of the ocean, you can still create this experience wherever you live. By integrating elements such as shades of blue, natural light, and an airy atmosphere, you can introduce ocean-inspired themes into your home and feel like your living room is a mini vacation.
- Christopher Knight Home Cecilia Swivel Chair; $156
- Abbott Collection Finger Coral; $30
- GooBloo Large Woven Rope Basket; $36
- DesignOvation Sylvie Woman Floating Framed Canvas by Amy Peterson; $70
- Nourison Jubilant Modern Coastal Blue Area Rug; $75
Feeling closer to the outdoors can be a challenge if you live in a city or suburban area, but rustic decor can help bring a bit of nature and earthiness back into your life. Natural wooden furniture, distressed leather, and rich earth tones are key elements to creating an environment that looks rough around the edges while still championing comfort.
- Signature Design by Ashley Budmore Rectangular Cocktail Table; $345
- Alexander Home Yosemite Faux Cowhide Area Rug; $119
- Sterling Home Light Marty Chair; $589
- Mountain Woods Furniture Aspen Bench; $247
- White Faux Modern Moose Antlers Wall Decor; $99
This year has limited us all in more ways than one, so let your personality shine through with boho home decor. To incorporate the boho look, make sure to have vibrant colors, lots of decorative elements that speak to you, and cozy throws and pillows.
- Safavieh Monaco Lillie Boho Medallion Distressed Rug; $48
- Rodeo Home Simba Tribal Pattern Square Throw Pillow; $31
- Wanda Woven Border Fringe Trim Throw Blanket; $43
- Alma Round Luxe Wall Mirror; $118
- American Art Decor Leaf Wall Scroll Tapestry with Rope; $44
For the minimalist that can’t help but love some throw blankets, this style is for you. The transitional style is where elegance and sophistication meet simplicity and straight lines. Keep your home in check with elements like polished wood furniture, a neutral color palette, and textured fabrics and ceramics to boost the style without being too decorative.
- Stone & Beam Standing Floor Lamp; $140
- Carson Carrington Lacksta Round Wall Mirror; $120
- Hosley Crackle Ivory Ceramic Vases (Set of Three); $28
- Lilith Cozy Nordic Stripe Wool Throw Pillow; $44
- Sauder Boulevard Cafe Metal Lounge Chair; $142