Resolve to spend some more time celebrating offbeat holidays this year. January has some great ones to kick things off.
1. JANUARY 1: Z DAY
This holiday is intended to give recognition to all persons and places whose names begin with the letter Z, and thus are often listed or thought of last.
2. JANUARY 2: HAPPY MEW YEAR FOR CATS DAY
Here at mental_floss we honor all cat-related holidays. Consult the above photo if you need a reason why.
3. JANUARY 3: MEMENTO MORI DAY
Memento mori is Latin for “remember you will die” and what better way to get a fresh start on a new year than to consider this inevitability.
4. JANUARY 4: NATIONAL TRIVIA DAY
Yep, we are all about this one.
5. JANUARY 8: ARGYLE DAY
A pattern for every season—isn't it time you celebrated argyle?
6. JANUARY 16: APPRECIATE A DRAGON DAY
This holiday falls during Bald Eagle Appreciation Days (the 16th and 17th), so choose your side—or appreciate all flying beasts, real or imagined. We'll leave your celebration up to you.
7. JANUARY 16: NATIONAL NOTHING DAY
This holiday was created by newspaperman Harold Pullman Coffin “to provide Americans with one national day when they can just sit without celebrating, observing, or honoring anything." Fair enough. In tribute to him and the day, we left the image spot blank for this one.
8. JANUARY 20: RID THE WORLD OF FAD DIETS AND GIMMICKS DAY
So uh, how's that diet going?
9. JANUARY 21: NATIONAL HUGGING DAY
A good day to stay inside for those who like their personal space.
10. JANUARY 22: ANSWER YOUR CAT’S QUESTIONS DAY
If your feline isn't forthcoming with their inquiries, this is a good opportunity to go through the thought experiment: "What would a cat have questions about?"
11. JANUARY 23: NATIONAL HANDWRITING DAY
Get off the computer! And get out the old pen and paper and weep at how bad your penmanship has become … or you know, write someone a nice letter.
12. JANUARY 23: NATIONAL PIE DAY
You thought March 14 (3/14) was Pie Day, but that's Pi Day, and actually, you can celebrate both any darn day you want. More pie for everyone.
13. JANUARY 24: SNOWPLOW MAILBOX HOCKEY DAY
Pour one out to all the mailboxes who'll bite the dust at the hand of snowplows this winter.
14. JANUARY 24: BELLY LAUGH DAY
More of a challenge than a commemoration.
15. JANUARY 24: NATIONAL COMPLIMENT DAY
High fives all around. You're all great. Keep it up.
16. JANUARY 25: BUBBLE WRAP® APPRECIATION DAY
This is also "A Room of One's Own Day" (Virginia Woolf's birthday) which seems appropriate for all those who don't want to take part in the Bubble Wrap® popping ("appreciating").
17. JANUARY 29: CURMUDGEONS DAY
Another well-paired couple of offbeat holidays, this day is also "Fun at Work Day," so separate the fun-lovers from the curmudgeons and everyone enjoy.
18. JANUARY 30: NATIONAL SEED SWAP DAY
Last month you swapped cookies, this month you swap seeds.
Holidays found in Chase's Calendar of Events 2016. All photos courtesy of iStock unless otherwise noted.