The Full Names of One-Named Stars
Everyone knows it's Beyonce Knowles and Madonna Ciccone, but do you know Bono's last name? OK, maybe you do, but I totally didn't. I didn't even know Bono's first name. But now I do, and here's a list of nine others.
1. Bono - Paul David Hewson. One of his friends nicknamed him Bono in the 70s. According to the book Bono on Bono, his friend named him after a hearing aid shop they went by all of the time, because Bono sang so loud it was like he was trying to make deaf people hear him.
2. Twiggy - Lesley Hornby. Twiggy was her childhood nickname, and her agent suggested that she take that as her modeling name. Since her marriage, she goes by Twiggy Lawson.
3. Cher - Cherilyn Sarkisian. I understand why she goes by Cher; Cherilyn Sarkisian is kind of a mouthful.
4. Moby - Richard Melville Hall. I think this is somewhat well-known, but he says his middle name and his nickname are because Herman Melville is his great-great-great-granduncle.
5. Slash - Saul Hudson. He's another one who carried the nickname over from his childhood; a family friend named him Slash because he was always running around in a hurry. Another interesting fact about Slash: his mom was a costume designer for David Bowie.
6. Sting - Gordon Sumner. He was playing with his band (not the Police) one evening and wore a snazzy yellow and black striped sweater. The bandleader made fun of him, saying it made him look like a bee. Thus, Sting.
7. Rihanna - Robyn Rihanna Fenty. I don't have much to say about her, since she just swapped her names and dropped the surname. Rihanna sounds a lot edgier than Robyn, though, I'll give you that.
8. Fabio - Fabio Lanzoni. That's all I care to say about Fabio.
9. Prince - Prince Rogers Nelson. When your parents give you a name like Prince, you pretty much have to do something interesting with your life.
10. PelÃ© - Edison (Edson) Arantes do Nascimento. This one was an accident "“ PelÃ© pronounced the name of his favorite soccer player wrong "“ "PilÃ©" instead of "BilÃ©." A classmate made fun of him by referring to him as the mispronunciation, and PelÃ© actually punched the guy for mocking him and got suspended from school. But the name stuck anyway.