Everything We Know About The Crown Season 3

Olivia Colman stars as Queen Elizabeth II in The Crown.
Olivia Colman stars as Queen Elizabeth II in The Crown.
Des Willie, Netflix

Oscar-winner Olivia Colman takes over for Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth II in The Crown’s third season, which covers history from 1964 through 1976. With Outlander’s Tobias Menzies as Prince Philip and Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret, season 3 will dramatize events like the moon landing, the Queen’s 1972 visit to France, and the devolution of Margaret’s marriage to Antony Armstrong-Jones.

Directed by: Ben Caron
Written by: Peter Morgan
Starring: Olivia Colman, Tobias Menzies, Helena Bonham Carter

TV Facts

  • Though Princess Diana won’t appear in season three (she didn’t meet Prince Charles until 1977), we will get to see Camilla Parker Bowles, played by Call the Midwife’s Emerald Fennell.
  • MCU star Paul Bettany was almost cast as Prince Philip, but had to drop out because of scheduling conflicts.
  • Josh O’Connor, known for his work in God’s Own Country (2017) and the television series The Durrells in Corfu, will portray Prince Charles.
  • This isn’t the first time Olivia Colman goes royal—or even the second time. In addition to her Oscar-winning performance as Queen Anne in 2018’s The Favourite, she also played Queen Elizabeth II’s mother, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, in 2012’s Hyde Park on Hudson.
  • According to Tobias Menzies, Philip and Elizabeth’s contentious marriage has calmed down in season 3, but that doesn’t mean Philip has fully settled into his station. The moon landing serves as the impetus for “various midlife crisis questions” like “‘What have I done with my life?’” Menzies said in an interview.
  • Season 3 will tackle the 1966 Aberfan disaster, in which mining waste rock collapsed on a Welsh school, killing almost 150 children and adults. Producers consulted with survivors and other town residents to discuss how best to depict the incident.

Netflix will release season three of The Crown on November 17.

Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary Is Coming to Theaters

Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tim Allen, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, and Daryl Mitchell in Galaxy Quest (1999).
Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tim Allen, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, and Daryl Mitchell in Galaxy Quest (1999).
Paramount Home Entertainment

On November 26, Galaxy Quest—the beloved sci-fi satire that ended up being voted the seventh greatest Star Trek film ever made—will celebrate its 20th anniversary with Never Surrender, a brand-new documentary about the making of the movie.

Back in 2014, E! News celebrated the movie’s 15th anniversary with a mockumentary starring the actors from the show-within-the-show, but don’t worry—this documentary is totally real. Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary will include behind-the-scenes interviews and footage featuring the film's stars, including Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Tony Shalhoub, and Rainn Wilson. The documentary examines how fandom shaped the creation of Galaxy Quest and also ensured the film’s enduring legacy.

“Fandom is powered by fans who deeply care about the movies, shows, and games they love,” Michael Chiang, the senior vice president of programming for Fandom (which produced the documentary with Screen Junkies), said in a press release. "Galaxy Quest was the first film that put fans at the center of the action and really foretold the era we’re in now, where fans are the most powerful force in entertainment.”

The documentary will be shown for one night only in about 600 movie theaters across the United States, courtesy of Fathom Events. The full list of theaters is available on the Fathom Events website. Tickets cost about $15 to $18, depending on your location.

Thousands of Disney+ Accounts Are Being Cracked and Sold. Here's How to Protect Yourself

Disney+
Disney+

With an estimated 10 million sign-ups during its debut last week and positive reviews for its marquee original Star Wars series The Mandalorian, Disney’s new Disney+ streaming service has been a resounding success. But making such a high-profile splash is apparently coming at a price. According to CNBC, thousands of consumer accounts are being hijacked and their login information is being shared illicitly online. 

The report, published by ZDNet, alleges that hackers were able to breach usernames and passwords for the service within hours of launch and began distributing them for free or for a fee of $3 to $11—the economy of the black market making a one-time purchase cheaper than paying the standard $6.99 monthly for access to the Disney+ library.

The idea wasn’t to co-opt the accounts but to seize them entirely, using the login to change the email and password associated with the account and locking the consumer out.

A spokesperson for Disney told CNBC that they weren’t aware of any security breach. It’s possible that accounts from unrelated sites were compromised and hackers were able to cull from a database of existing passwords to see if consumers used them for their Disney+ account.

The best way to secure your account for Disney+ or any other service requiring a log-in is to use a unique password for each and avoid obvious parallels to the content. If you’re using “mickeymouse” as part of your login, don’t be shocked if you find yourself locked out of your account one day. Ideally, experts say, the service will eventually incorporate a multi-factor authentication process to make compromising logins—and watching Freaky Friday for free—more difficult.

[h/t CNBC]

SECTIONS

arrow
LIVE SMARTER