Everything We Know About Frozen 2
Six years after Disney’s Frozen became an obsession for kids around the world, the story of Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven will continue with Frozen II. The long-awaited sequel will see the animated gang leave Arendelle and travel to an ancient forest where they hope to discover the origins of Elsa’s extraordinary powers.
Directed by: Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee
Written by: Jennifer Lee and Allison Schroeder
Starring: Idina Menzel, Kristen Bell, Jonathan Groff, Jason Ritter, Josh Gad, Evan Rachel Wood, and Sterling K. Brown
- The original Frozen currently ranks as the 15thhighest-grossing movie of all time; it earned $1,276,500,000 worldwide.
- While the enormous success of Frozen had audiences eager for a sequel, it took a while for Disney to officially announce the idea. When asked about the possibility of another film in April 2014, Walt Disney Studios co-chairman Alan F. Horn said that their main focus at the time was getting the Broadway musical version of Frozen off the ground.
- Frozen II was officially announced in March 2015, during a Disney shareholders meeting.
- Disney chairman/CEO Bob Iger believes that Frozen could become one of the company’s key properties. “Mickey Mouse was created in 1928, and he’s still one of our most popular characters,” Iger told CNBC in 2014. “People are downloading Mickey Mouse shorts on the internet fairly regularly. I think that’s an interesting example of when you have a character or stories that people love, there’s no reason why if we don’t continue to support these characters and this franchise, there is no reason why it can’t last a very, very long time ... [W]hen you have something that is as good as Frozen in today’s world, and you treat it well, meaning you continue to support it and fuel it with basically new creativity, there’s no reason why it can’t keep going at all. It’s not a fad.”
- The first official teaser for Frozen II dropped on February 13, 2019 and logged 116.4 million views in the first 24 hours it was online, making it the most viewed animated movie trailer of all time (and the 15th most viewed movie trailer overall).
- Like the first film, Frozen II will be rated PG.
- Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee, who co-directed Frozen, will reunite to co-direct the sequel. But don’t be surprised if you see a lot less of Lee in the director’s chair: In June 2018, it was announced that Lee and Pete Docter would be taking over as chief creative officers at both Disney Animation and Pixar.
- Expect to see a lot more of Elsa’s personality in Frozen II. In an interview with Fandango, Chris Buck noted how Elsa “had such a dramatic journey, and at the end she's just starting to feel like she can open up and have some fun again. That's what was really good about the short [Frozen Fever]—we could have fun with Elsa. And that personality ... you will see in the next one."
Walt Disney Studios will release Frozen II on November 22, 2019.