I don't know about you, but I'm super sick of tabloids combining the names of celeb couples to create a new word, like Brangelina (succinct, isn't it?) and TomKat. Of course, these are some of the most well-known celebrity pairings. There are some out there that might surprise you "“ past and present. And if you know of any other somewhat obscure couplings, be sure to let us know in the comments!
3. Elisabeth Moss and Fred Armisen. Fred Armisen you probably know from Saturday Night Live; Elizabeth Moss plays Peggy Olsen on Mad Men. This is a couple I'm both surprised and delighted by. The two actually met on SNL when Jon Hamm (Don Draper) hosted the show and Moss showed up for a skit.
4. Michael Emerson and Carrie Preston. This is another couple whose names you may not know but whose characters are probably in your frame of reference. Emerson plays Ben Linus on Lost (and, incidentally, is from Iowa) and Preston plays the delightfully redneck waitress Arlene on True Blood. They met in a stage production of Hamlet. Lost fans can catch a glimpse of her on the show in a bit of stunt casting "“ she's briefly shown as Emily Linus, Ben's mother (slightly weird).
5. Dennis Hopper and Michelle Phillips. Dennis Hopper is currently on his fifth marriage, but his union with Michelle Phillips of The Mamas and the Papas has the distinction of being the shortest "“ eight days. Phillips said they were the happiest eight days of her life. "Seven of those days were pretty good," Hopper countered. "The eighth day was the bad one."
6. Janet Jackson and James DeBarge. James DeBarge of the "˜80s family singing group DeBarge, of course. "Rhythm of the Night"? The two were childhood friends and eloped rather suddenly in 1984. The marriage was annulled in 1985.
8. Sam Elliott and Katherine Ross. These movie veterans have been married since 1984. The two of them were actually in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid together but never met on the set. Instead, they met nearly 10 years later on the set of the film The Legacy. Katherine has kept a low profile in the movie industry for a while, but she starred in Butch Cassidy, The Graduate and The Stepford Wives, among other things. Elliott has been in every western made since 1969 (OK, I may be exaggerating), and most recently, The Golden Compass and Ghost Rider.
9. Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter. They're not really brother and sister, they just play them on T.V. The two met playing siblings Dexter and Debra Morgan on Dexter.
10. Rob Lowe and Melissa Gilbert. This was in the "˜80s "“ the bad boy and the girl from Little House, what could have been better? But it was bound to go awry, and it did. This relationship was a mess. The two started dating after they met at a red light. They dated until 1984, which is when Lowe filmed The Hotel New Hampshire and had an affair with Nastassja Kinski. Gilbert found out and retaliated by cheating on him with his best friend, John Cusack. The crazy kids worked things out, but then Lowe started dating Princess Stephanie of Monaco and dumped Gilbert"¦ only to propose to her the following year. Before they could get married, Gilbert announced she was pregnant and Lowe dumped her again. She miscarried two days later.
So there you have it "“ some you may have known about even though they're under the radar, and some that should have totally shocked you (Carrie Fisher and Dan Aykroyd, I just can't get over that one. I don't know why). Let us know which ones you were surprised by "“ and share any I left out "“ in the comments!