The Golden Globes are coming up this weekend, which means it’s time for a new Miss Golden Globe. Although the award ceremony has been around since 1944, Miss Golden Globe didn’t start handing out trophies until 1966. There were actually two Miss Golden Globes that year – one for film and one for television. The daughter of an industry veteran was chosen to hold the title several times during the ‘70s, but it wasn’t until 1985 that the tradition was consistently upheld. They even started using a Mr. Golden Globe in 1995 – read on to find out who it was, and nine other celebrity kids who have doled out awards and directed confused stars off stage.
1. Melanie Griffith. Melanie was one of the ones who served in the ‘70s before the tradition was set in stone. Her daughter Dakota Johnson followed suit in 2006, making them the first mother-daughter duo to hold the title.
2. Lorraine Nicholson.
The daughter of Jack Nicholson and Rebecca Broussard, Lorraine handed out awards in 2007. During the ceremony, her dad reportedly mouthed funny things at her from the front row and made her laugh at inappropriate times.3.
I bet you can figure out whose spawn this is, but sadly, John Clark was born four months after his father died. He was the first Mr. Golden Globe in 1995, paving the way for the likes of Freddie Prinze, Jr. (1996) and A.J. Lamas (2003).
4. Laura Dern. When your parents are Bruce Dern and Diane Ladd, I think you’re a shoo-in for the Miss Golden Globe title, as Laura Dern was in 1982.
5. Erin Hamilton. The name may not sound familiar, but you definitely know her mom, Carol Burnett. Erin was Miss Golden Globe in 1993. She started a career in music not long after, doing cover versions of “Dream Weaver” and Cheap Trick’s “The Flame” and has opened for Bette Midler and Whitney Houston.
6. Haley Giraldo. You don’t have to be the child of an actor or actress to get the gig – Haley’s mom is Pat Benatar. She was Miss Golden Globe in 2002, and since then has appeared in Filthy Rich: Cattle Drive, a 2005 show where a bunch of celebrity kids attempted to work at a Colorado cattle ranch.
7. Kathryn Eastwood.
Yep, as in
Eastwood. She’s Clint’s daughter from an affair he had with flight attendant Jacelyn Reeves. Although it wasn’t publicly known for years that she and her brother, Scott, were Eastwood’s kids, it’s safe to say that the cat was out of the bag by the time she held the Miss Golden Globe title in 2005, the same year her dad’s
Million Dollar Baby
8. Lisabeth Shatner. In 1985, the Shat’s middle daughter (he has three) was on stage as Miss Golden Globe. She has since worked with her dad as a writer on his projects T.J. Hooker, TecWar, The Shatner Project and Captain's Log: William Shatner's Personal Account of the Making of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.
9. Joely Fisher. Yep, I’d say her pedigree qualifies her: she’s the daughter of Eddie Fisher and Connie Stevens and the half-sister of Carrie Fisher. She was Miss Golden Globe in 1992 and got her big break co-starring on Ellen just two years later.
10. Gia Mantegna. That’s who will be doling out the honors this weekend – Joe Mantegna’s 20-year-old daughter. But she’s already on the road to fame herself with more than 10 film and television roles.
Other celeb kids who have filled the role? Rumer Willis, Clementine Ford (Cybill Shepherd’s daughter), Candace Savalas, Lily Costner, Katie Flynn (Jane Seymour’s daughter), Alex Martin (Whoopi’s daughter) and Mavis Spencer (Alfre Woodard’s daughter).