Getting served with divorce papers or lawsuits is never fun, but let's face it - opening your front door and accepting an envelope is a lot less embarrassing than dealing with someone running out and handing you a sheaf of paper in front of your adoring fans at Wrigley Field. Here are 10 less-than-ideal places to get served.
1. On a baseball field.
Satchel Paige’s wife served with divorce papers while he was walking onto the field during a game at Wrigley Field. Satchel ended up paying his wife just $1,500, plus $300 for her lawyer's fees.
2. At a restaurant, while dining with your daughter. Eddie Montgomery, half of the country duo Montgomery Gentry, was eating out at a steakhouse in Kentucky when he was served in December. "U find out u got cancer then u found out ur wife can't handle that so she seek of and files for a divorce ,,, merry christmas," he Tweeted.
3. Mid-song at a piano bar... when you're the piano player. It wasn't the divorce that came as a surprise to piano man and Broadway composer Michael Garin - he and his wife had been separated for four years. It was the timing that shocked him, as he was mid-song during a set at Elaine's in New York. The next song he launched into? "Love and Marriage," by Frank Sinatra, of course.
4. At the Grammys.
OK, this one only almost happened. In 2008, the year after Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" became an infectious earwig on the radio, guitarist Joe Satriani noticed the song's sounded a little too much like his "I Just Wanna Fly" for his comfort. He threatened to sue, and apparently aiming for the most publicity possible, seemed determined to have his people hunt the band down at the Grammys, hopefully while accepting an award. Coldplay's lawyers got wind of the scheme beforehand and must have intercepted the lawsuit, because it didn't go down at the 2009 Grammys.
5. On a movie set.
As if she didn't have enough problems raising the son of Satan and fending off crazy neighbors - poor Mia Farrow had to deal with Frank Sinatra serving her divorce papers in front of the whole cast and crew of
. Mia fell to her knees and wept in front of everyone and director Roman Polanski said the shoot would be canceled for the day. Mia insisted on continuing the day as usual, determined to use her emotions in the scenes.
6. When you're nine days away from giving birth to your first child. That's how rapper The Dream served then-wife Christina Milian. Though the two may have been separated (there were conflicting stories), that's still pretty inconsiderate timing.
7. On a playdate. Melissa Etheridge's ex, Tammy Lynn Michaels, supposedly lured her estranged wife to a hotel to visit their kids. When the "Come to My Window" singer showed up, she was slapped with divorce papers instead.
8. At a T.V. premiere. Oh, those crazy Salahis. The infamous White House gatecrashers apparently decided to walk out on a $15,000 bill they had racked up at a club, so the club's lawyers found them at a premiere party for Michaele Salahi's show, Real Housewives of D.C..
9. On the red carpet. Speaking of the Housewives, Danielle Staub of the New Jersey show was slapped with a lawsuit from her ex-boyfriend as she walked the red carpet for a Halloween event last year. Trick or treat!