This is clearly not a definitive list. I encourage you all to help us build the list by leaving your additions in the comments below.
1. Cheap Trick Song: “Surrender” Mention: … got my Kiss records out
2. The Red Hot Chili Peppers Song: “Californication” Mention: Cobain can you hear the spheres singing songs off station to station Also: References David Bowie’s album Station to Station
3. Lynyrd Skynyrd Song: "Sweet Home Alabama" Mention: Well I heard mister Young sing about her Well, I heard ole Neil put her down Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
4. Johnny Rivers Song: "Summer Rain" Mention: Everybody kept on playing Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
5. Better than Ezra Song: “Extra Ordinary” Mentions: (Many in this song, but my favorites): Though I got more hooks Than Madonna got looks And just like that AC/DC song Come on baby, shake me all night long
6. Billy Joel Song: “We Didn't Start The Fire” Mentions: (Again, lots in here): Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron Dien Bien Phu Falls, Rock Around the Clock - Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland
7. Regina Spektor Song: “On the Radio” Mentions: (Guns N’ Roses song)On the radio we heard november rain the solo's real long, but it's a pretty song we listened to it twice 'cause the dj was asleep
8. Arctic Monkeys Song: “Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor” Mentions: Your name isn't Rio, but I don't care for sand
9. Electric Light Orchestra Song: “Shangri La” Mentions: My Shangri-la has gone away, Faded like the Beatles on Hey Jude
10. Bruce Springsteen Song: “Thunder Road” Mentions: Like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays Roy Orbison singing for the lonely
11. The Beatles Song: “Yer Blues” Mentions: The eagle picks my eye, the worm he licks my bones Feel so suicidal, just like Dylan's Mr. Jones
12. Wolfmother Song: “Dimension" Mentions: Purple haze is in the sky...