We're looking to expand the award-winning Mental Floss team.
Mental Floss has won Webby Awards (three!), lost ASME Awards (thrilled to be nominated!), and published 15 books and five board games. Our YouTube channel has 1.3 million subscribers (170 million views!), and we reach 15 million people a month through mentalfloss.com. Our goal is to find fascinating stories and bring them back to our readers. The kinds of stories people want to share, and not just in the social media sense. There are so many incredibly interesting things out there. Can you help us uncover them?
We're looking for a rabidly curious grammar freak to dream up great stories and edit other people's work in our New York office. You can write about almost anything, and you will. Why Paraguay loves Rutherford B. Hayes. What people did for fun in the 16th century. Why the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were so obsessed with pizza. Chaucer. Mini-golf. Drones. Why Syrian golden hamsters spend so much time at the liquor store.
Primary responsibilities will include conceiving and assigning story ideas that fit Mental Floss's smart, quirky voice and positive tone, editing work from freelancers and staff writers, writing posts, and generally elevating mentalfloss.com.
But because we're a small editorial team, you'll wear many hats. You may be asked to help with video scripts and board games and event planning and new apps. Everyone does a little of everything.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Two years of editing, writing, and assigning experience (food and lifestyle experience a plus)
- Lots of ideas for great stories we want to read
- Energetic, positive written voice, and the ability to translate complicated concepts into accessible writing
- Ability to conceive, pitch, and execute timely stories on tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Ability to work quickly
- Strong research skills
- Ability to nurture writers with constructive feedback
- Natural curiosity and the ability to generate tons of story ideas (this one should probably be higher)
- Ability to work and collaborate with a team
- Willingness to take ownership of projects
- Knowledge of social media platforms and analytics
- Experience with Drupal and Photoshop a plus
- We should mention that editing part again
How to Apply
- Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Put the name of the job you're applying for in the subject line
- Three things you've written or edited that you're proud of
We offer health, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage, an optional 401k enrollment, FSA/transit flexible spending, 15 vacation days, plus various discounts on gym memberships, entertainment, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!