Mental Floss is seeking a full-time video producer/editor to join our team in New York City. Our goal is to find fascinating stories and bring them back to our readers. The kinds of stories people want to share, and not just in the social media sense. There are so many incredibly interesting things out there. Can you help us uncover them?
This person will produce and edit multiple videos a week for our site and other platforms, contribute to brainstorming sessions, and see each video through every stage of production to the final product.
- Pitching video ideas and planning their execution
- Shooting in studio and on location
- Lighting shoots in studio and on location
- Recording audio
- Editing video
- Creating text and basic motion graphics
Ideal candidates will be ambitious, detail-oriented, and deadline-driven, and comfortable being a key player on a team as well as managing independent projects. They will have solid technical and production skills, and are equally comfortable shooting and editing. A sense of humor, wit, and the proclivity to pitch in and do whatever needs doing to get the job done are essential.
- 2-6 years experience making short-form digital videos
- Experience shooting, lighting, and audio recording in the studio and on location
- Experience editing videos
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere, After Effects, and Photoshop
- A knowledge of “what works” across platforms — but also an inclination to push the boundaries and innovate
- Strong writing skills
- Bonus points if you have animation and graphic design experience
- If we bring you in for an interview, we’ll also ask you to do a video editing test.
How to Apply
Blending the utility of education and joy of entertainment, Mental Floss is a community for curious minds. Our readers are passionate about learning but choosy with their attention. With a unique perspective that’s equal parts nerdy, worldly, and funny, we serve them by mining history, science, and culture for amazing facts and incredible stories, and packaging these in the most engaging forms that digital and social media offer today. We publish lists on pretty much every topic, from pop culture (“9 Unbelievable Movie Fan Theories That Turned Out to Be True”) and travel (“4 Spectacular Shipwrecks You Can Dive Near Chicago”) to science (“7 Amazing Facts About the Amygdala”) and food (“8 Forgotten Pie Recipes We Should Bring Back”). You can also find answers to life’s big questions (why isn’t there a B battery, and what are those white marks on your fingernails?!) and features about subjects like the hidden room behind Mount Rushmore; the history—and disappearance—of waterbeds; and the Apollo 11 astronaut who was allergic to the Moon.
Mental Floss was founded in a dorm room in 2001, and since then, we’ve grown to be a premier knowledge brand: 13 million users visit us online each month, our Facebook videos receive more than 30 million views, and our YouTube channel has more than 1 million subscribers.