We’re Hiring a Social Media Editor/Manager
We're looking for a Social Media Editor to join the award-winning Mental Floss team in our New York City offices. Mental Floss has won Webby Awards (three!), lost ASME Awards (thrilled to be nominated!), and published 15 books and five board games. Our YouTube channel has 1.3 million subscribers, our Facebook page is liked by 2.4 million people, our Twitter feed has 685,000 followers, and we reach 13 million people a month through mentalfloss.com. Our goal is to find fascinating stories and bring them back to our readers. The kind of stories that readers will want to share, both via social media and beyond. Can you help us tell them?
Social Media Editor
The Social Media Editor will strengthen Mental Floss’s relationship with our current readership and, using both creative editorial knowledge and data analytics, help us find ways to introduce the brand to new audiences and markets. This person will be responsible for overseeing all of the brand’s social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more.
In addition to bringing Mental Floss’s voice to both existing and emerging platforms, the Social Media Editor will:
- Develop all social media strategies and audience engagement efforts;
- Write, schedule, and publish captivating daily social content, with a focus on driving traffic and conversion and boosting audience engagement;
- Interpret data and analytics to inform the content we create and promote, and submit detailed weekly and monthly social media performance reports;
- Have impeccable writing skills, strong attention to detail, and a thorough knowledge of social media platforms and analytics;
- Work with both editors and writers to track and suggest news stories and, if desired, have the chance to pitch and write stories for the site;
- Help maintain current content partnerships with other organizations and influencers and look for additional opportunities that could be beneficial to the brand.
Ideal candidates will have:
- At least 3 years previous social media experience at a publisher or entertainment brand (writing experience is a plus);
- Fluency on all current social media platforms and eagerness to keep informed of all emerging platforms and digital tools;
- Graphic design experience and intermediate/advanced level Photoshop skills;
- Expertise in interpreting data to make metrics-based editorial and promotional decisions;
- Clear understanding of key social metrics like CPM, reach, engagements, and how to analyze the outcomes and trends on social media pages;
- Excellent time management skills, the ability to prioritize, and a high level of attention to detail;
- Energetic, positive written voice;
- Sound editorial judgment and ability to frame articles and videos for social promotion;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
How to Apply
Just click here!
Blending the utility of education and joy of entertainment, Mental Floss is a community for curious minds. Our readers are passionate about learning but choosy with their attention. With a unique perspective that’s equal parts nerdy, worldly, and funny, we serve them by mining history, science, and culture for amazing facts and incredible stories, and packaging these in the most engaging forms that digital and social media offer today. We publish lists on pretty much every topic, from pop culture (“9 Unbelievable Movie Fan Theories That Turned Out to Be True”) and travel (“4 Spectacular Shipwrecks You Can Dive Near Chicago”) to science (“7 Amazing Facts About the Amygdala”) and food (“8 Forgotten Pie Recipes We Should Bring Back”). You can also find answers to life’s big questions (why isn’t there a B battery, and what are those white marks on your fingernails?!) and features about subjects like the hidden room behind Mount Rushmore; the history—and disappearance—of waterbeds; and the Apollo 11 astronaut who was allergic to the Moon.
Mental Floss was founded in a dorm room in 2001, and since then, we’ve grown to become a premier knowledge brand: 13 million users visit us online each month, our Facebook videos receive more than 30 million views, and our YouTube channel has more than 1 million subscribers.