Mental Floss is hiring in our New York office! It's not about the news cycle or sizzling hot takes or not believing what happened next. Our goal is to find fascinating stories and bring them back to our readers. There are so many incredibly interesting things out there. Can you help us uncover them?
Are you a walking encyclopedia of random trivia and obsessed with all things retro? Do you love science as much as you love taking quizzes? Then this is the job for you: We're looking for a rabidly curious editor to join the team in our New York office.
Primary responsibilities will include conceiving, writing, and assigning stories and quizzes that fit our smart, quirky voice and positive tone. But because we're a small editorial team, you'll wear many hats: You’ll edit news posts, write lists and features, and help with video scripts and event planning and book projects. Here, everyone does a little bit of everything.
Ideal candidates will have:
- At least two years of editing, writing, and assigning experience
- An interest in everything from quirky history and strange science to obscure trivia and taking (and making!) quizzes
- Strong editorial judgment
- A natural curiosity and the ability to generate tons of story ideas
- Energetic, positive written voice (and attitude!)
- The ability to turn around constructive feedback to writers quickly
- Excellent time management skills, the ability to prioritize, and a high level of attention to detail
- The ability to juggle multiple projects while staying on deadline
- A willingness to take ownership of projects and collaborate with the rest of the team
- Knowledge of SEO and analytics, and the ability to track and analyze data
- A clear understanding of Mental Floss’s mission, voice, and audience
- Drupal and Photoshop experience a plus