We're Hiring an Editorial Fellow!
We're looking for a remote editorial fellow to contribute to MentalFloss.com.
Mental Floss, a brand of Minute Media, delivers quirky content in an upbeat and witty way, answering life’s big questions and finding stories so interesting our readers absolutely must share them. Whether covering history, science, or a favorite TV show, Mental Floss helps readers feel smarter. There are so many incredibly interesting stories out there. Can you help us uncover them?
In addition to writing, researching, doing web production, and editing for MentalFloss.com, you’ll have the opportunity to work alongside our professional writers and editors to learn what it takes to turn an idea into a compelling published story. You’ll also assist our social media editor with conceptualizing and executing ideas for our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok channels and sharing the new content we post daily. In addition, you’ll have the chance to work with our video team to help write and produce our slate of YouTube series; pitch in on special projects; and be an integral part of our team brainstorms and pitch meetings.
This is a fantastic entry-level opportunity for someone looking to learn the digital publishing industry from the ground up, to be able to contribute to some fun (and sometimes bizarre) projects, and to earn some bylines on our Webby Award-winning website.
This is a paid, part-time position that lasts from May 24, 2021, through September 10, 2021. You’ll be working remotely three days per week for 16 weeks total.
- Recent graduate (less than 2 years) from an undergraduate or graduate degree program with at least 1 year writing and/or editing experience (internship is fine)
- Part-time availability—3 days/week
- Natural curiosity
- Energetic, positive written voice (and attitude)
- Interest in learning more about and assisting with various aspects of the digital publishing process, from pitching ideas to researching photos and inputting stories
- Strong writing skills, proper use of grammar, and ability to think creatively
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Understanding of SEO and analytics is a plus
- Experience with Drupal and Photoshop are a plus
- Some video editing experience is a plus
- Ability to see your work published and shared by an audience of millions
- A final project to produce that will serve as a foundational piece of your portfolio
- Networking and career development opportunities
- Opportunity to make a meaningful impact in a fast-growing company
- Small, collaborative team environment and fun company events!
- 100 percent remote
- Hourly pay rate
- Free swag!
How to Apply
You can apply for the Mental Floss fellowship program here!
Minute Media is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Not sure that you're 100 percent qualified but are up for the challenge? We want you to apply!