This opportunity is in our New York office.
We're looking for rabidly curious grammar freaks to dream up great stories and edit other people's work. You can cover almost anything, and you will. Why Paraguay loves Rutherford B. Hayes. What people did for fun in the 16th century. Why the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were so obsessed with pizza. Chaucer. Mini-golf. Drones. Why Syrian golden hamsters spend so much time at the liquor store.
Primary responsibilities will include conceiving and assigning story ideas that fit our smart, quirky voice and positive tone, editing work from staff writers and freelancers, writing posts, and generally elevating mentalfloss.com.
At mental_floss, you'll wear many hats. You may be asked to help with video scripts and board games and event planning and new apps. It's not just because you're new. For years our head of business development proofread our newsletter. Our digital art director is in charge of watering the office plants. (Yes, we have plants.) Our co-founders will be looking over your applications. Everyone does a little of everything.
Ideal candidates will have:
- At least three years of editing, writing, and assigning experience
- Natural curiosity and the ability to generate tons of story ideas
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work quickly
- Strong research skills
- A network of freelancers they would love to bring to our site
- Ability to nurture writers with constructive feedback
- Ability to collaborate with a growing team
- Knowledge of social media platforms and analytics
- Experience with Drupal and Photoshop a plus
How to Apply
- Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put 'Digital Staff Editor' in the subject line
- Include links to three things you've written or edited that you're proud of
We offer health, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage, an optional 401k enrollment (not currently matching), FSA/transit flexible spending, 15 vacation days, plus various discounts on gym memberships, entertainment, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!
About Mental Floss
In the last year, mental_floss won a Webby Award (three in a row!), lost an ASME Award (thrilled to be nominated!), grew our YouTube channel to over 1.3 million subscribers (145 million views!), and reached 20 million people a month through mentalfloss.com. But we want to take this to another level.
It's not about the news cycle or sizzling hot takes or not believing what happened next. Our goal is to find fascinating stories and bring them back to our readers. The kinds of stories people want to share, and not just in the social media sense. There are so many incredibly interesting things out there. Can you help us uncover them?