Want the Best Hospital Care in the U.S.? Head to Rochester, Minnesota
For the best medical care in the United States, you should probably head to Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic, located in Rochester, tops the latest U.S. News rankings of the country’s best hospitals for children and adults. For the 27th annual list, U.S. News compared 5000 medical centers across the country, ranking them on their quality of general care as well as their expertise in 25 specialties.
The rankings are based on data pertaining to patient survival rates, number of patients, infection rates, staffing numbers, and other objective measures. Here are the top 20 hospitals in the general excellence rankings:
1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
4. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
5. UCLA Medical Center
6. New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell
7. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
8. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
9. Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia
10. NYU Langone Medical Center
11. Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis
12. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside, Pittsburgh
13. Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
14. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Stanford, California
15. Mount Sinai Hospital, New York
16. Duke University Hospital, Durham, North Carolina
17. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
18. University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor
19. Houston Methodist Hospital
20. University of Colorado Hospital, Aurora
If you’re going to need medical care, you might want to consider relocating to Los Angeles, Boston, New York— since those cities each have more than one medical center on the list—or the Bay Area, which boasts the UCSF Medical Center and the Stanford Hospital just 30 miles apart. Boston is also home to the nation’s best pediatric care center, Boston Children’s Hospital.
While many of these general excellence hospitals top the specialty rankings for cancer care and other specific treatment areas, 153 centers made the list in total, and for certain kinds of treatment, you aren’t necessarily better off being treated at a large brand-name hospital. For eye care, for instance, you should check out the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute-Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital in Miami.
You can search the full list here.
Know of something you think we should cover? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.