Modern technology is amazing and efficient. But there is something to be said for the giddy nostalgia created by products from the past. Thankfully, there are a lot of ways to combine the two experiences.
1. Rotary iPhone Dialer App
For just 99-cents you too can be really frustrated every time you call your friend who has a couple of 9s in his phone number.
2. Make Your Tablet An 80s-Style Coin Operated Video Game
No more pining for days gone by spending hours in the local mall arcade when you can just turn your brand new, expensive iPad into your own really old, cheap gaming experience.
3. Morse Code Tweet Writer
With this handy computer enabled Morse code tweeting device, all our trusty editor Jason English would have to do is enter this:
- .... .. .-. - -.-- -.-- . .- .-. ... .- --. --- - --- -.. .- -.-- .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. - .-. . .- --. .- -. ... .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. -... . .- ... ... .- ... ... .. -. .--- --- .... -. .... .. -. -.-. -.- .-.. . -.-- .-- .- ... ..-. --- ..- -. -.. -. --- - --. ..- .. .-.. - -.-- -... -.-- .-. . .- ... --- -. --- ..-. .. -. ... .- -. .. - -.--
And out would come this:
4. Play Halo With An Atari Controller
ThinkGeek offers a USB-enabled Atari controller for use on your computer. Right on the product page they helpfully recount how to play an Atari version of Halo (called Halo 2600) that was developed by one of the game’s developers.
5. Turn Your iPod Into A Gramophone
Crank up the old timey tunes!
6. Use A Throwback Key Pad
A lot of people miss the clicking of keys as they type on their Apple products. The iPad typewriter should more than solve their problems.
7. Gaze Into the World of Childhood Magic
Sometimes it’s nice to take a moment to appreciate the simple technological pleasures of the past like a good old ViewMaster. Lucky for you, Hasbro created this modern version that prevents you from actually having to put your phone down.
8. Make Your iPod An Enormous Shoulder Accessory
It’s been far too long since you walked through the mall with a blaring boombox on your shoulder. Get yourself some Adidas kicks and a nice track suit, pop your iPod into this dock and make that happen pronto.
9. Make Instant Communication Take A While
Twitter is so instant that you can post a silly or insane message on there before you actually have time to think. Better that you should sit down for a moment and think through your thoughts. That seems to have been the rationale of Giles Turnbull when he started Twitter By Post. Who says you couldn’t do the same?
10. Make Your Phone A Lot Bigger
Maybe Zack Morris was secretly talking on an iPhone hidden inside one of these primitive-looking cases.