mental_floss magazine is seeking an Editorial Fellow. This is an incredible opportunity to learn the ins and outs of print magazine publishing by joining the team that produces the National Magazine Award–nominated print sibling of mentalfloss.com. We’re a small, hard-working, fun-having team and you’ll be an integral part of it all from your first day.
Primary responsibilities include brainstorming, pitching, and writing stories; conducting copious amounts of research; and helping with a variety of print production and administrative tasks—some of them extremely glamorous, some of them a little less so.
The position pays $12 an hour, and is based in our midtown Manhattan office. We require a commitment of three days a week for a minimum of 12 weeks, running from mid-February to the end of May.
We are looking for someone who is:
· an excellent writer, who innately understands the mental_floss tone and sensibility
· a creative, thorough, and self-sufficient researcher—able to come up empty-handed in a Google search and still, heroically, find the information another way!
· incredibly attentive to detail, proactive, and excited to learn new things
· passionate about print and the types of stories we tell at mental_floss
To apply send us a note that helps us get to know you better. (Send us your resumé too.) Tell us:
· What was your favorite class or subject in school. What fact sticks with you from it?
· What skills and prior work experience do you bring to this position?
· Why do you want to work on a print magazine? And why mental_floss?
· What are three stories you’d like to write for us?
You can reach us at:
Please include “magazine fellow” in the subject line.