Squeezing in a workout when you’re traveling can be hard enough without also having to figure out how to literally squeeze it into your small hotel room or Airbnb. Amy Opielowski, CorePower Yoga’s Senior Manager of Quality and Innovation, tells Mental Floss that if you have enough room for a yoga mat, you can fit in a full-body workout. “All it takes is a yoga mat, one yoga block, and a few hand weights to get a solid workout anywhere,” she says.
She breaks down eight easy exercises you can use to get your blood pumping, whether you’re on the road or in your apartment. “Complete this routine three consecutive days a week. Rest 30 seconds between each exercise, just enough time to transition to the next move. Repeat the whole routine two to three times,” Opielowski says. Do each exercise for 30 seconds to 1 minute, and you’re guaranteed to break a sweat.
1. SPEED BLOCK TAP
- Stand in front of a block with your feet hip distance apart and a slight bend in your knees.
- Tap the ball mound of your foot on the block, then quickly switch feet.
2. SQUAT TO STANDING ROTATIONAL PRESS
Target: Legs and Shoulders
- Stand with your feet hip distance apart and hold a weight in each hand. Draw the weights up to your shoulders, with your palms facing in, draw your hips back and down into a squat position.
- Exhale, engage your core, and press the right weight up to the ceiling as you pivot off the heel of your right foot and rotate your torso towards the left.
- Inhale and return to start position. Alternate to the left side and repeat.
3. ALTERNATE REVERSE FLY
Target: Legs and Back
- With a weight in each hand, stand with your feet hip distance apart, lower your hips back and down into a deep squat position. Hinge forward from your waist until your torso is parallel to the floor.
- Extend the weights under your shoulders with your arms straight and your palms facing in.
- Exhale and draw both weights out to the side, up to shoulder height. Maintain a soft bend in your elbow.
- Inhale and bring the weights back down to the start position, extended under your shoulders.
4. PUSH-UP PLANK FALLING TRIANGLE
Target: Core and Chest
- From a high plank position, shift weight onto your left hand and lift your right hand off ground.
- Rotate to the right and kick your left foot out to the right, coming into fallen triangle pose. Tap left foot with right hand.
- Return to start position and lower down into a push-up. Repeat on the other side.
5. SIDE FOREARM PLANK WITH KNEE-TO-ELBOW PULSES
- Form side forearm plank with your elbow under your right shoulder and your heels, hips, shoulders, and head in one straight line.
- Inhale and extend your left arm overhead with your bicep aligned with your ear and your top left leg parallel to the floor.
- Exhale and draw your top elbow to your top knee and pulse three times.
- Inhale, extending the arm and leg once again.
- Repeat for one minute and then change sides.
6. ONE-LEG GLUTE BRIDGE WITH ONE-ARM CHEST PRESS
Target: Glutes, Hamstrings, and Chest
- Take a seat on your mat with your block in front of you.
- Hold a weight in your right hand and place your left foot flat on a block with your knee over your ankle. Extend your right leg out in front of you.
- Slowly lower down to your back, and raise your right leg so your knees are parallel to one another.
- Press your weight over your chest, palm facing forward, and press your left foot down into your block to lift your hips up towards the ceiling. (Keep your left arm on the ground for stability.)
- Lower your hips to hover above the floor as you bend your elbows out to a 90-degree angle at shoulder height.
- Exhale and press your weight back over your chest as you lift your hips up; inhale as you lower back to your start point.
- Repeat for one minute, then change sides.
7. V-UP BLOCK PASS
Target: Core and Chest
- Lie down on your mat, place the block in-between your hands, and extend the block over your head behind you. Extend your legs out long and hover your legs a few inches above the floor, with your feet flexed.
- As you exhale, pike your legs up and lift your torso, forming a V with your body. Place the block from your hands into your inner ankles.
- Inhale and slowly lower back to start position, but this time your block will be between your ankles. Repeat, switching the block from your hands to your legs each time.
8. BELLY-DOWN OPPOSITE ARM LEG RAISE
Target: Lower Back
- Lie on your mat on your stomach with your legs outstretched behind you.
- Reach your arms forward overhead with your thumbs slightly rotated up. Keep your head aligned with your spine.
- Push your hips into the ground and lift your right arm and left leg off the ground. Hold for a four-count.
- With control, switch sides.