Mister Rogers taught us about kindness, imagination, wonder, and countless other life lessons. Above all else, he emphasized the importance of love—loving ourselves and loving others. Here are 10 quotes about love from our favorite neighbor, Mister Rogers.
1. "Deep within us—no matter who we are—there lives a feeling of wanting to be lovable, of wanting to be the kind of person that others like to be with. And the greatest thing we can do is to let people know that they are loved and capable of loving." — From The World According To Mister Rogers
2. "Love isn’t a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like 'struggle.' To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now." — From The World According To Mister Rogers
4. "There are many ways to say I love you. Just by being there when things are sad and scary. Just by being there, being there, being there to say, I love you." —"Many Way to Say I Love You" as performed on Episode 1643 of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
5. "We need to help people to discover the true meaning of love. Love is generally confused with dependence. Those of us who have grown in true love know that we can love only in proportion to our capacity for independence." — From The World According To Mister Rogers
6. "Love is like infinity: You can’t have more or less infinity, and you can’t compare two things to see if they’re 'equally infinite.' Infinity just is, and that’s the way I think love is, too." — From The World According To Mister Rogers
10. "When we love a person, we accept him or her exactly as is: the lovely with the unlovely, the strong along with the fearful, the true mixed in with the façade, and of course, the only way we can do it is by accepting ourselves that way." — From The World According To Mister Rogers