From UFOs to Bigfoot: 15 Mysterious Places Across America You Should Visit
Many tourist destinations hide myths and histories that aren't advertised in travel brochures. Flathead Lake in Montana has been a hotbed for monster sightings for over a century. The Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S.—and an object of fascination for conspiracy theorists tying it to aliens and secret societies. If you find the legends of these places more interesting than their official backstories, check out this list.
The luggage shipping company My Baggage looked at spots around the U.S. to determine the best mysterious locations to visit. In addition to boasting creepy reputations, the places on this list had to be accommodating to travelers. My Baggage analyzed the cost and ratings of nearby hotels and the quality of restaurants and attractions in the area when compiling the round-up.
Redwood National and State Parks in California came out at the top of the ranking. While admiring the tallest trees on Earth, visitors can keep their eyes peeled for the Sasquatch rumored to roam the forests. Second on the list is Los Angeles's Cecil Hotel, which is infamous for being the scene of several bizarre deaths. The trippy Sedona Vortex in Arizona and the Stonehenge-like Georgia Guidestones also make the top four. You can check out all 15 locations and the nearest city to each of them below.
There's no shortage of strange destinations to explore in the U.S. Here are the most haunted places to visit in all 50 states.
- Redwood National and State Parks // Sacramento, California
- Cecil Hotel // Los Angeles, California
- Sedona Vortex // Phoenix, Arizona
- Georgia Guidestones // Athens, Georgia
- Mount Rushmore Chambers // Rapid City, South Dakota
- Denver International Airport // Denver, Colorado
- HAARP (High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program) // Anchorage, Alaska
- Area 51 // Las Vegas, Nevada
- Skinwalker Ranch // Salt Lake City, Utah
- Flathead Lake // Missoula, Montana
- Winchester Mystery House // San Jose, California
- The Sixth Floor Museum // Fort Worth, Texas
- The Safeguard Complex // Langdon, North Dakota
- Roswell, New Mexico
- Bayou Corne Sinkhole // Baton Rouge, Louisiana