Could Jon Snow Become the Next Night King in Game of Thrones?
One of the more popular Game of Thrones fan theories over the years has claimed that Bran Stark, a.k.a. the Three-Eyed Raven, would become the Night King. There is some evidence to back the idea up, and considering that Bran and the undead leader had a connection, it wouldn't be impossible to imagine. But it seems fans and Isaac Hempstead Wright, the actor who plays Bran, are over that becoming a possible storyline. But a new theory suggests there might be another character who could turn into the new Night King in the series’ finale.
Redditor ModnarTnuocca says that instead of Bran becoming the Night King, it will be Jon Snow. The fan admits that this idea is coming totally out of left field, but it essentially builds on a previous theory that the Night King had possibly chosen Jon as his heir. The basic premise is that Jon will become the Night King to restore a balance to the world, essentially becoming the ice to Daenerys Targaryen's fire.
For proof, the Redditor points to the fact that Kit Harington, who plays Jon, said in an April 2019 interview that, “No one I've spoken to has guessed the actual ending. No one has got it right yet." This forced the fan to think outside of the box, explaining that Jon could become the Night King because of seven key hints. They write:
"But think about it, the references certainly are there:
1. There have been tons of Stark-Night King references
2. The last time a Night King was created was to save Westeros from a foreign invader
3. Bran knows how to create a Night King
4. Jon and the Night King have had a kind of weird relationship in the past, think Hardhome
5. This could wrap up the series in one episode
6. It would surely establish the balance once again between fire and ice
7. It would be bittersweet as [George R.R. Martin] has referenced many time[s]."
While Jon Snow becoming the Night King isn't really what we envisioned as the fate of one of our favorite characters, we are hoping for one last major twist in Sunday's finale. And most of us are still desperate for more of an explanation regarding Bran's powers. If anything is for certain, it's that we're expecting a lot out of this final episode. Let's hope at least something unexpected happens.